When you hear the word “nanotechnology,” does science fiction spring to mind? Actually, nanotechnology is an element of our daily lives; it makes our way of life easier. Nanotechnology is basically the science of working with matter on an atomic and molecular scale. Scientists can use nanotechnology to develop new materials which can be applied and used in several different ways.
The practical side of nanotechnology
To present you with an example of how nanotechnology can effect your lifestyle here is an article that Science Daily ran last month. The article states that scientists are creating a way to use nanotechnology to lessen the amount of friction in car engines and machines. This technology will make machines operate more effectively; extending their lives. Based on the article, tiny polymer particles were created and distributed in oils used in automobile engines. They were then tested in conditions comparable to car engines and found to lessen friction tremendously.
More efficient motors
The story reported that even when these particles were dispersed at a low concentration, they boasted more powerful friction-reducing abilities than the friction reducing additives used by lots of industries today. The scientists learned that these particles, measuring just nanometers in size, made it possible to reduce friction by 55 percent more than additives currently can. We can expect more discoveries such as this in the future. The field of nanotechnology continues to grow. It’s growing so quickly, in fact, that the United States recently released a national strategy for ensuring that environmental, health, and safety research needs are recognized and addressed in the field.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
Next time you consider nanotechnology think about your car’s engine. Some day nanotechnology could be responsible for helping you save lots of money due to your engine consuming less gas.
Wi-Fi Security – Tips from Marathon Consulting
About Marathon Consulting
Our staff of seasoned IT veterans have decades of experience in computer networking and Internet technology, enabling us to make an informed analysis of the technical issues involved in large-scale projects, and to deploy carefully-planned and thoroughly tested solutions.
- 05/23/2013 Are you sloppy with your online passwords? It’s time to change your habits
- 05/22/2013 How many of these bad tech habits are you guilty of?
- 05/14/2013 You might be surprised which mobile device is hacked the most
- 05/09/2013 Time to buy a computer monitor? Do your research
- 05/08/2013 Phone passcodes are far from hacker-proof
- 05/02/2013 Follow these tips to keep your eyes healthy at the office
- 05/01/2013 Sharing screens on a tablet no longer a hassle
- 04/26/2013 Protecting your privacy is easier than you think
- 04/24/2013 Are you mourning the end of Google Reader?
- 04/17/2013 Why you need to learn two-factor authentication